Sunday, August 10, 2008

Coward


In the darkening skies
Of a cloudy Sunday afternoon
I lost you…to the clarity of thought
I sacrificed you…to the demands of reason

There was nothing I could do…
Yet, I do not plead innocence
For I saw your eyes
Your eyes which had faith…I would do justice…

I left you to the hounds of night
I abandoned you to the gutters
Yet you did not lose faith…
Only a veil of sadness passed your eyes

There was nothing I could do…damn you…
There was nothing anyone could do…
You had challenged society…
I couldn’t stand by you

You refused the abortion in the discreet nursing home
You refused reason…
I had to stand by it…
Yet you had faith…I would do justice…

Why don’t you blame me?
Scream…Curse and hurl accusations
I know I was guilty…but you chose to hide it
Thirty years later I realise why…silently you had branded me…a coward.

2 comments:

Apeksha said...

its beautiful....the truth in the thought....the accusation...the anger...it has that subtle power...to make one visualize what you wanna put across...I love your style of giving this elegant touch of pain to your poems...keep writing

Unknown said...

shit!! its simply wonderful

the way it hits at the end ... passive aggression of the girl..

the whole thought of it

yaar, its too good